About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2 weeks post 1st surgery

It is 2 weeks post surgery for Ivee. Her head is looking good, and her stiches will come out soon. For those who don't know, her incision on the back of her head starts about 2 inches behind her right ear and travels at a curve down past her neck and shoulders. About 5 inches long. And there is an incision on the top of her head a little over and inch long from the external drainage port they had to put in until her ventricles began to drain the CSF (brain fluid) of her brain like normal brains do. They have done a CT scan of her this past Monday and her ventricles look good. If this continues there will be no need for a shunt (a tube that drains CSF fluid if the body can't naturally do it itself.) I know a lot of my teens out there are reading this, so I want to make sure you are clear. I'll put a lot of explanations in there for you (love you Natalie : )!!!
They have had some trouble with Ivee's central line. They needed labs two nights ago, and they tried and tried to get blood return and couldn't, which is one of the reasons to have a central line... no more sticking. So at 3 am Ms. Ambe (the lab tech) came in and stuck her for blood. (The doctors needed to do blood work to see if the blood transfusion was doing it's job). They got out the door, and 30 minutes later came back in cause the blood they had drawn already clotted in the tube. So this time they stuck her heal instead of her hand. Then after they got as much as they could, which wasn't enough, they tried to get blood return on her central line just "one more time" and of course got blood. After all that.
Ivee is almost at the end of her 24 hour PH test to check the acidity of her digestive system before they can put a GI tube in (feeding tube). More than likely Dr. Powell, the surgeon will perform the GI surgery, will want to do a GI test before the surgery. A GI test looks and sees what the whole digestive system is doing from start to finish.
Today she is having a bone scan and hearing test. She is on morphine for pain and benadryl for itching, and she is on 5 other medications...Antibiotics, steroids, a medicine to relax the stomach, and a medicine to dry up secretions. And since she can't eat, she has TPNs and Lipids going into her central line for nutrition. (those are nutrients and fats)
She had a really ruff night last night, and today her central line is oozing. So the surgeon had to come in and fix it. She and mommy didn't get much sleep.
I have my ups and downs. Most of my downs come at night when I am alone and lacking any descent sleep. The Lord has his moments of reminding me he is still in control, but in my human mind many thoughts come and go. I try to cling to Psalms 40, especially verses 1-3. "I waited patiently for the Lord, he turned to me and hear my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire, he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put trust in the Lord."
We are in room 510 at USA. Our room phone number is 415-1510. Sometimes we answer and sometimes we are in the middle of something. We like visitors, but you may need to call first to make sure we are there. She has many test that happen, so sometimes we are not in the room.
Thank you once again for your prayers and thoughts, and for the many gifts and visits. We know we are loved!!!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope I have just read your update on Ivee, thank you for it! I am reading my new Bible that my children gave me for Christmas, The Message, and I looked up the passage you mentioned in your blog , Psalm 40 1-3, and I wanted to share with you how it is worded in that translation."I waited and waited and waited for God. At last he looked; finally he listened. He lifted me out of the ditch, pulled me from deep mud. He stood me up on a solid rock to make sure I wouldn't slip. He taught me how to sing the latest God-song, a praise-song to our God. More and more people are seeing this:they enter the mystery, abandoning themselves to God" Love,and prayers, Karen Gunter

baughman-family said...

I'm so glad that daddy is able to come be with you and Ivee. I miss you and terribly want to be there. I am coming soon. My emotions are not real stable so I'm having difficulty reading each blog.

My heart hurts for you so when I cry I cry for you but after the tears I find my praises for God delicately designed Ivee just the way he wanted her and I remember this book that Whitney has "Hermie" and God reminds us that he "isn't finished with her yet". He isn't finished with you yet either. He is showing you the strength that you didn't know you had and I think that we all hug and kiss our babies more during times like this. Heck - I'm even loving on the new kitten since Whitney isn't at the house!! lol

Anonymous said...

Hope,
Ivee is in our prayers, as are you, Emmett, Brittany and Ethan. We are praying for complete healing for Ivee, and for rest, peace and strength for you.
Love,
Rex, Mary Ann and Jennifer Logan

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for Ivee that she will have a total healing. We will also be praying that God will be your families comforter through Ivee's illness.

Love,
Lamar, Betsy and Racheal Reeves

Anonymous said...

Hope: I did not know you had this until yesterday. I am encouraged by your faith and courage, and knowing God has everything in His control. I get lots of questions about Ivee, and now I will send them to this web site to get up-to-date and accurate information. I think about y'all a lot, and you are in my prayers. I love you and your family very much. Joy

Anonymous said...

Hello Hope,

You don't know me but I am Karen Gunter's niece Paula. I have a daughter name Mackenize that is almost 6 months old. I believe you prayed for her while she was still in my tummy. Thanks for that. I have been praying for you and your precious little girl Ivee. I also put her name on our intercessor prayer team list. I know she is covered in prayers. I feel as if I know Ivee just by reading your blog and also having a daughter so close in age. I looked up Ivee's name this morning to get it's meaning and her name means "Prepared" and Isabell means "My God is a vow". I believe that even before Ivee was born God prepared a way for her. I got a scripture Isaiah 43:16 that says he has "made a way through the seas and a path through the mighty waters". I believe he has done this for Ivee. Isabell means my God is a promise to me, he has a personal commitment to me. She is precious to him and he is commited to seeing that her purpose in life is fulfilled. God is not/was not suprised by this and he is ABLE TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE. Blessings to you!! I will continue to be praying for you and for Ivee. Paula Casallo