About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Trips, field trips, Special Olympics and Awards

Trying to play catch up on all that has happened. I have become laxed in my Blogging over the last few years, but it honestly takes a bit of time to sit down and do this! 

First I'll update then I'll share pics. As you read from my last blog, the MRI didn't happen. We are trying to get back to Memphis the last week of March, our Spring Break. She will see ENT and now a pulmonologist first. We always have respiratory problems, and we need to have a handle on it before any sedation. Please, pray that we can get the appointments, and that Ivee would continue to get better. She is still struggling with congestion, but it is sloooooowly getting better! 


I posted about some of the updates from our Memphis Trip. Of course, every trip to Memphis begins with a car full of "mostly" Ivee's stuff. This is what it is like to go just on a four day trip with her. (Of course, Pawpaw was tagging along this trip so the two small duffle bags on the end are his and 1 suitcase is mine)

 Ivee was VERY interested in the new construction at St. Jude. One of the employees who was having lunch next to where she wanted to go "look" was very engaging and interactive with her.

This is the new Proton Radiation area being built underground. I am so excited about this addition. Ivee didn't get to benefit from this new form of radiation, but so many kids will now be able to receive it here in Memphis when the construction is done. Right now, all the St. Jude patients needing this type of radiation are sent to Massachusetts and Jacksonville, FL. 
Ivee had the opportunity to meet some of the professional basketball team players from the Memphis Grizzlies. The Grizzlies support the on campus hotel facilities that we are privileged to use every time we go for a short stay. Here she is with Marc Gaslo. Every player was tall, but Marc stand 7' 1" and Ivee has never seen people so tall. She was not intimidated in the least!!!

I have waited for the day that Ivee would walk the halls of St. Jude unassisted. Even though she didn't have her MRI due to issues with congestion and O2 saturation, she walked herself into the MRI sedation room! 


I just wanted to share the new statue outside the Chili's Care Center. It is my favorite now of all the statues on campus. It is a representation of the Genome project. Isn't it just so fun!!!


Once we got back from Memphis, Ivee had a field trip to the zoo with school. We always have our "candid" bus drive snapshot!
I gave Ivee the digital camera (the cheaper one) and let her have at it. She's pretty good. She can take some good shots sometimes. Here 4 of her shots. 

Yeah...not all of her shots are great...love it!!! 
 
I love taking these trips with my children!!!


To end that week of school, Ivee participated in her first Special Olympics. It was a very emotional day for me. Looking around at all the special children there. Knowing the hearts of the parents of so many of these kids. The spirit of Hope was abounding. It was all I could do not to cry that day. She has come so far!!! She is a miracle! Here I watched my baby walk in front of her school banner as they passed in front of the stands. All I could think was, those initial doctors told me that with a 13% chance of survival...this day would never come. Well, my God said differently, and I watched my Ivee walk proudly, and though with a walker, she did it on her own! 
She stood there on the field with her classmates.
Her first event was the tennis ball throw (for age 8 and under) 

She won a third place ribbon! 
She was the most excited about the assisted run race. 
We had her hold her aid, Ms. Cheryl's hand, but we should have let her use that walker.

If she had used the walker, I think we would've had a first place ribbon.

But, she was proud of that second place ribbon. She is competitive, but she just likes to race. She made me race her, then Ms. Cheryl, then some of her classmates. 

I ended her day letting her take my camera. She took great pics, many I don't feel I should share since classmates are in it and I don't have permission from all of their parents. But, here's one she took of momma!

Today Ethan was chosen as the honor student for Art for the entire school. He and Brittney are extremely talented. Soon, I'm going to scan some their art and share it with all of you! 
I'm so proud of you Ethan. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And here I am, not getting my picture taken for anything cause I never win anything -___-