About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Swallow Study

     Ivee made it through swallow study with the promise of the purchase of a new dress, which will have to be bought tomorrow cause Walmart had NOTHIN!!! She passed most of the test. On liquids, it puddles on the vocal chords, then after a few swallows, most clears. Some remained. On thin feeds (ei apple sauce, soups, yogurt consistency) she aspirated just a little bit, but we saw it. On th...icker foods (ei. p'nut butter, Pudding, refried beans consistency) she got it down all at once fine. So, drinking without a straw and thinker foods that stay together are the recommendations for now. Em and I aren't too worried, but she does tend to cough here and there when eating. It's been 2 1/2 years since her last study, and in the time we have feed her and given her drinks by mouth. She has never had a fever, severe cough, chest congestion or anything that lead us to believe that she had problems with aspiration. Never had pneumonia or other pulmonary issues.
     SO.....as her ENT at St. Jude, Dr. Thompson (who by the way also has a paralyzed vocal chord), says, "I love coffee. I aspirate it everyday, but it hasn't stopped me from drinking it." I guess what he means by that is...when she learns to love the food and gets more practice in swallowing and using those muscles, we won't be able to stop her.
     Hip surgery is only 9 days away. I don't seem to be able to go to sleep too well knowing what all I need to get done with the house, kids, and details. The mind just keeps running and running. Then I keep thinking about what we are going to do with Ivee. I don't stress out too much, and usually I internalize it. BUT lately I see myself snipping at others. Trying to keep it in check!!! It doesn't help my attitude when Ethan and Brittney are at each other lately. Ethan also has homework from the time he gets home and goes to bed. Brittney has two projects due this week. Hoping the week of the surgery things will slack off for them since we won't be home. Thank the Lord, once again, for our neice Erin. She is keeping them again for us. She is awesome!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have ALL of you in my thoughts and prayers with the upcoming stresses...I am so glad you had the chance to relax before everything. I am curious exactly what she will be able to do? Will she still be able to do crafts?

Sending love and prayers,
Lindsay (Matilda's mom)