About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Hospital stay...Is it really February?

Yeah....so this mom is ready to go home! Counting up to day 13 in the hospital. Not sure by what day Dr. Martino will be sure of what he needs to do or not do. Britt texted last night after a break down, Ethan had a break down last week, and Ivee is" over" the hospital as well.


We have lifted the ventriculostomy tube up more today.Still continuing to test her ventricles. She seems to be absorbing some of the csf, but she is still pushing a good bit out. She had some trouble sleeping last night cause her mouth has ulcers and yeast. Had to give her a pain med swab, which hurt itself and made her mouth bleed. Her poor lips are crusty and cracked. Her eczema is flaring up as well. She is sometimes complaining of ear pain, this is a side effect of the testing. She could possibly develop headaches, nausea and hydrocephalis as well). You know, we did all this about 16 months ago with the meningitis. We were in the PICU for 2 weeks at that time ending with the shunt surgery. It isn't easier the older she gets, in fact, it is a bit harder. She understands so much more. She easily gets upset with mommy cause she lets people touch her. If they don't wear gloves she does a bit better. The last time we were in the hospital it was after the scar tissue removal in the brain (which lead to the meningitis). She didn't have much of a vocabulary before that surgery. So, in the PICU, just a week after the surgery, she learned to speak really well. She learned to say, "No" and "All done." Well, this stay she has learned "Stop it" and "No ouchies."

On a lighter note, she has performed her lipsyncing skills here. 1st for the Senior Bowl Football players that came to visit, and then for her nurse Kelli. She has also busted out her groove skills. She looks really good for a little girl that's been through so much. She is my little sunshine...most of the time!

Thanks for praying and we'll keep you informed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hope and family - I got teary reading your post as I do when reading my little Johnny's post. To know they are in pain and we just want to make it go away is so frustrating. I pray hard for Ivee that the shunt issue gets addressed and please God, no ear pain. I'll keep praying and praying that each day she wakes up feeling a little better and each day you all have the strength to endure helping her get better. Love from Johnny Sileno's proud "Mima", kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Hope - I love to read the messages on my little Johnny's caring bridge site - but to answer your question, I am big Johnny's mom. Jennine's parents liveoacross the river - not really too far but her mom is a nurse who works nights and it's hard for her to take Taryn - I live just down the road from Johnny and Jennine.
I'll be praying for that shunt surgery to go just the way it's supposed to - honestly, she will feel so much better once that's in place - I don't want her to have headaches or nausea or ear aches and this will take care of it.
So as we pray for own, we pray for each others. From Kathy AKA to my little people as Mima