About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Maybe not...


Here is Ivee a few days ago. She was playing around with her mouth, opening back and forth. She is looking much more like herself. This is prior to this past Friday's surgery.

Here is Ivee watching NEMO, her favorite movie, Friday morning.

Well, we thought perhaps we would never see the operating room for a while, but I guess not. I'll start with what's happen over the last 24 hours. After the older kids ball games yesterday, we returned to the hospital to check on Ivee. She was resting well. I left her under the care of my dad's watchful eye for the night. He said she had a rough night until about midnight. Then things calmed down. We got a phone call from dad this morning around 9:50 am, saying that Dr. Martino, the neurosurgeon, came in, and her wound in the back of her head was still leaking. So, he wanted to suture it again to stop it from leaking any further, cause he doesn't want to put a shunt in. We don't want that either. She's had enough surgeries and stuff done. And through out life, shunts can cause other problems, surgeries, test and infections. So, they took her into the PICU (peds. Intensive care unit), gave her some sedatives, and did a suture to her head. Only about 3 or 4 stiches in the one spot that is leaking. The leaking didn't become really bad until the original sutures were removed. It is believed that the removing of those stiches probably opened the wound some more, causing the excess of fluid. She is on a diaritic to help dry up the extra csf fluid.
They were going to begin giving her food in her tube today, but we have found out that she is going back into surgery tomorrow. This time, to change or repair the central line so that we can get blood return from it. So, we will once again be visiting the operating room in the morning. The cycle seems to never end. We did get to go to church this morning, even though I felt compelled to be at the hospital as her mother. But something inside me said, "What can you do? Sit in the waiting room? She'll be fine. Your dad is there. She's in the BEST hands. God's!" Worship was great. Joel's (my pastors) sermon was a great word. Of course, it dealt with trials and struggles. 1 Peter 1:6-9. The part of the sermon that gave me great comfort was...Trials come to that your faith may be proved genuine...Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith...
It is a comfort to know that my faith is revealed as genuine this side of heaven.
Once again, your comments are a joy for me to read. For those who know Emmett and I, you know our sense of humors. There are some of you who don't know us, but your comments are a relief for us. We enjoy your little comments of "comedic" relief. Everyone is awesome.
As you leave your comments, you are welcome to leave your email address, and I'll add you to my email list. I may also make an email account where you can send emails to us. I haven't decided if I am going to do this yet. God bless you all, and thanks for the spreading of the word. The prayers are spreading across the world.
Here is Ethan at his 1st ball game this past Saturday.











And below is Brittney...She is in blue.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope - I hate to hear that precious little girl has to have surgery again. I ask the Lord in prayer after I read this blog to let tommorrow be her last surgery for awhile. That is the fleshly mother in me. Speaking of fleshly mother - this morning in Panera Bread before Church mind you - my son who is 2 was running around slamming the microwave door and just being a boy. I couldn't really do much considering I had Mac in my hands. This lady looked at me and said I left mine in the car with my husband. I explained that my husband was not in the car. She told me she had to get the Nanny 911 book. You think she was trying to give me a hint? I thought you might get a laugh out of that. It is funny to me now - not so much then. As a parent - I am constantly learning, making mistakes, but loving my kids so much. Children are a gift from God - no doubt. It is good to know we can trust them in his care. He is the PERFECT PARENT. I am believing for good news for you all tommorrow and quick recovery for your little angel. My email is Paula@knollwoodchurch.net. In your spare time - ha ha!! you can email me updates and such if you like.
Many blessings - Paula Casallo

Anonymous said...

Wow, this seems unreal. First, let me thank you for all that you did for me when I was ill, please let me return your kindness. My family is committed in praying for your family and Ivee. God is good all the time.
Hope, you are such a gift in God's ministry, I love hearing you and Emmett sing praises to our Lord and Savior.
Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you.
Ivee is such a blessing!
Love you,
Laura

Unknown said...

Hope, I do wish I could have heard Joel's sermon this morning, but I've had a cold and didn't make it this morning. But I have been studying 1 Peter in my own quiet time, and the thing I've noticed throughout that book is that no matter what we're going through in life, the purpose of everything we do and go through is to bring glory to HIM. Be encouraged that the way you are handling your situation and where God has placed you, IS bringing glory to HIM.
Thank you for keeping up your blog so faithfully. You come to my mind countless times during the day, and it's great to be able to get the details of how things are going straight from you.
Hang in there. He that is in you is SO MUCH greater than He that is in the world.
Love,
Daisy

Anonymous said...

Hope,
We continue to check your blog at least twice a day. I have sent the link to alot of people. Ivee is being added to other prayer lists all over the state. Our current e-mail address is rexandmaryann@gmail.com. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for any of you. We love you guys, and we're praying for complete healing for Ivee!!
Mary Ann Logan

Luvlie said...

God is amazing. I haven't spoken with Emmett in probably 10 years or more. I just happened to see his name on the U of M alumni site and felt like I should contact him and see how he was doing. I am already starting a prayer chain here in Birmingham for this beautiful little girl. I look forward to meeting you all one day.

Lori Gowin

Anonymous said...

Hope- I am so thankful that Ivee is improving I can't get yall out of my thoughts and prayers.... Tell the rest of the family that I wish I could be there to help comfort yall.... we love yall.
Leigh and Cowen

Anonymous said...

Hope, I think of Ivee constantly. You, your family and Ivee are in our prayers. I hate that she has another surgery today I will pray that all goes well and that this is the last one. I want to do something to help. If you could use someone to stay with Ivee at night so you can go home to sleep..I will. (My boss can't fire me!) If you could use help keeping up with laundry or house keeping, even grocery shopping. I can do them all. Please let me know of anything . We love you all.
Melinda Grimes
pmha111@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

Hope & Emmett,Ya'll are on my mind and heart often every day. I was reading in Romans in my "The Message" Bible this morning , and I would like to share some scripture with you. Hope, this is a long passage ,and you know I am not a " speedy typist", but I will do my best to get this done, ha! Romans Chapter 8 verses 18-39 "Thats why I don't think there's any comparison between the present hard times and the coming good times. The created world itself can hardly wait for what's coming next. Everything in creation and all the creatures are ready and can be released at the same moment into the glorius times ahead. Meanwhile , the joyful anticipation deepens. All around us we observe a pregnant creation. The difficult times of pain throughout the world are simply birth pangs. But it's not only around us; it's within us. The Spirit of God is arousing us within. We're also feeling the birth pangs. These sterile and barren bodies of ours are yearning for full deliverance. That is why waiting does not diminish us, anymore than waiting diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don't see what is enlarging us . But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy. Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. God knew what he was doing from the very beginning. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love Him along the same lines as the life of his Son.The Son stands first in the line of humanity he restored.We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in him. After God made that decision of what his children should be like, he followed it up be calling people by name. After he called them by name, he set them on a solid basis with himself. And then, after getting them established, he stayed with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun. So, what do you think? With God on our side like this, how can we lose? If God didn't hesitate to put everything on the line for us, embracing our condition and exposing himself to the worst by sending his own Son, is there anything else he wouldn't gladly and freely do for us? And who would dare tangle with God by messing with one of God's chosen? Who would dare to even point a finger? The One who died for us- who was raised to life for us!- is in the presence of God at this very moment sticking up for you. Do you think anyone is going to be able to drive a wedge between us and Christ's love for us? There is no way! Not trouble, not hard times, not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not bullying threats, not backstabbing, not even the worst sins listed in Scripture. None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us" .I am praying for Ivee, and also for you all that Jesus love will surround you today, and that you will feel the effects of the prayers offered up on your behalf from your family and friends who love you. Karen

debchastain said...

Just back from St. Louis & am praying that the surgery today went well. She looks like she's being such a little trooper. i like that picture of her watching nemo-it makes me smile.

I am sitting here watching my belly move around-it's a favorite past-time these days. I am looking forward to (ouch-just got a bladder kick!) having my body back (i know i'll never have my life back and my body will never be the same, but it would really be nice to bend over and really get a good strech for my aching back :0)

I'm so glad that you were able to get to church and worship. It's wonderful to see from afar how your community there is holding you up with prayers and love and encouragement. Lots of love and prayers are coming your way from snowy Colorado.

Anonymous said...

Hope -
You don't know us, we are new to the church. We are praying for Ivee and the rest of your family. I know this is a difficult time but God is good and faithful even when we in our humaness are wondering what is going on. It was good to see y'all in church on Sunday. If there is ever anything I can do for y'all please let me know. I know it is hard sometimes to ask for help but that is what the Family of God loves to do is help each other. I'll close for now and just know y'all are in our prayers constantly.
Love & Prayers -
The Watkins Family (Allyson, Neal, Ashley & Danielle)
gator8me@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Hope, This is Mary Mattox. I just wanted to tell all of you that you are in my prayers, especially little Ivee. Brittney,here's my E-mail address: marykatemattox@yahoo.com If you wanted to chat. your all in my prayers

Mary Mattox