About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Friday, January 05, 2007

After Surgery Number 3

Ivee had a pretty good night last night. Mommy got brave and left Ivee with papaw for the night, while me, daddy, Britt and Ethan went home for a night. The kids are back in school, so we are wanting to try to get back to a somewhat normal existence. When I came in this morning, daddy was already here and Ivee was watching Nemo (her favorite movie). She looked really good, cheeks just a little swollen and reddish. She is sucking on both her thumbs, well, more like naughing on them. We waited a long time for her to be taken to surgery. She didn't have a set time, so it was a waiting game. Around 11:30 a.m., we headed down to pre-op. We found out, after they took her back for surgery around 12:20 p.m., that they needed to add two more procedures. The total surgery time would be between 2 to 3 hours. We got a phone call around 2:00 p.m. saying that her surgery actually started at 5 til 1:oo. Well, she finally came out of surgery at 5:50 p.m.... about 5 hours later. Over all she had the following done: the stiches removed from her head, spinal tap, bone marrow extraction, bone sample extraction, stomach/esophagus binding, opening of sphincter to small intestine, and a gastric (feeding) tube inserted in her abdomen. They did not get to check her central line, like the oncologist wanted them too. We will try to do this at a later date to see if we can get better return blood flow from it. They added the stomach/intestines procedure, cause the oncologist is afraid that once we start chemo and she begins to throw up, that she will aspirate fluid and this could cause fluid in the lungs. Her immune system will be down, so any chance of getting pneumonia would be very bad in her condition. So, the stomach binding and intestines opening will help to stop this from happening. She did great during the surgery, and she is in her room now and still doing fine. Dr. Emran, the oncologist, said that all her test results should be in Monday, and he will also go over the details of chemotherapy treatment that day. We will not be going home before starting chemo treatment. Treatments will probably begin at the end of next week and last 3 to 5 days. By the time we get to go home, we would have been in the hospital for a month. Pray that she heals quickly and with very little pain from the surgery. She was really starting to become more like her old self, and we are sure that she will probably regress. Thanks for the comments, and keep them coming. They mean more than you know. With love, Hope and Emmett

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope, Hope... I find myself checking this site twice a day to see if you've updated it anymore. You, Emmett, Britt, Ethan, and Ivee are in my thoughts so often. I add my prayers daily to the thousands of others that seem to be going up right now. You are so awesomely strong - in so many ways. Your faith is a wonderful thing, and I'm so grateful that you have it. The idea I've had since I first talked with you right after she fell is that she is meant for something very special. To endure such trials at her tender age must be preparing her for something we cannot even imagine! What a purpose she must have in store!

As I've said before, I know you are surrounded by people that love and support you. I know I've been out of the picture for a while, but I love you just as much now as I did back in high school. DO NOT HESITATE to let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do. I will talk to you soon. My love to you all.

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting to hear how she did today during surgery. I was so excited for you to hear that she smiled yesterday and was reaching out for things. The smile to me was God saying I can do exceeding abundantly more then you ask for. You want to hear her cry instead of moan and instead he says Iam going to go a step furthur and give her mommy a smile. And wow 6 hours rest - that is more sleep than I can get Mackenzie to do at one time.) I felt that was an answer to prayer. Looking at that precious picture of her handing your father's hand made me think of how our heavenly father can reach down from heaven and comforts us with his strong right hand when we are hurting. I am trying to type with Mac in my hand right now. When Ivee is all better - and I believe she will be - we will have to introduce them to each other. I will be praying for a quick recovery and for wonderful test results on Monday. blessings - Paula Casallo

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Barbara Jackson, and I heard about Ivee from my daughter's friend Nicole Councleman.
Nicole attends the same church as you do.I want you to know that My husband and I have been praying for Ivee ever since we heard about the incident. I have e-mailed friends and asked
them to pray also. There is a lot of Power in Prayer! God is so good, and He can still do miraculious things that physicians can't do.Be strong in your faith,and remember that God will never leave you nor forsake you.Know that there are people that care, and are praying for Ivee, and (strength) for the family.

Anonymous said...

Hope,Emmett,
Carl and I are praying for you, Brittney, Ethan, Ivee at this time. Your strength and hope definitely comes from the Lord. Rest in HIS arms which are the faithful prayers of His people and know you are loved by all in heaven and on earth!

Love in Christ,
Beth Pinyerd

Anonymous said...

Hope,Emmett,
I meant to mention earlier that Opelika has had Ivee on their 24 hour prayer chain and listed on their prayer books in the Upper Room ever since Ivee went into the hospital. This is Opelika First Baptist in Opelika, Alabama. Take comfort that many, many prayer warriors that you don't know by name are lifting the Foley family up at this time.

Try to rest tonight,Love
Beth Pinyerd

Anonymous said...

Hope , I was glad to read that Ivee was watching Nemo, I know how much she loves it. I miss her, and you, so much in the office. It has been a blessing to be a part of Ivees life, and I look forward to the day when she can be back with us!Ed and I are praying for you, and Ivee, and Emmett, and Ethan and Brittney. Karen Gunter

Anonymous said...

Hope and Emmitt, what a joy it was to see you across the way in church yesteday! Didn't have a chance to speak to you, but please know you all are in our thoughts and prayers. Faye is anxious to give Ethan a hug Wednesday night when we start back up with TeamKid. We were talking about you guys yesterday with Rachel (which you'll know more about later) and she said, "Well, you know I've known Mrs. Hope, like, FOREVER." She does love you. And we do too.
Faye and Dale