About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Prayers.....

I'm updating on the eve of our next trip to Memphis. As we are returning for issues non-cancer related, it doesn't make the trip any less important/stressful/long/hard....all those things. I know this isn't necessarily a website for my thoughts and feelings on all things in our family, but mostly that is because my "family" blog became my "what's going on with Ivee now" blog with a little bit of family thrown in. But, as I am farther along in this journey, especially more than most of my cancer friends, I have a less "busy" medical schedule and we are in our new normal. Our normal is a life with therapies thrown in, tube feedings, moments of heaving, not wanting to walk and eat and occasional doctor visits (usually once a month), but mostly kids, housework, cooking, entertaining, and finding ways to "give back" or minister. Yes, everyday I must deal with Ivee's "medical" side and the deficits of her cancer. It has been this way for 4 years, 8 months and 14 days. Life has never been put on hold for us to just stop and breathe and take it all in. Tonight I was taken back and reminded. Let me share briefly.
I leave for Memphis tomorrow. I just got home Saturday from a trip with my sister and our 6 kids to visit the other sister in Jacksonville, FL, whom we don't get to go see very often. I knew if we were going to try to get there, it would have to be before school starts on August 15th. We had a wonderful time, even took the kids to Seaworld, and Ivee had a blast...well worth the trip. On the way back Saturday, I was looking forward to seeing Emmett. 2 1/2 hours away from my sister's house in P'Cola (where I would take them back to) we got a phone call from my B-in-law, who had been in a car accident. So, getting back home wasn't all we had hoped for, with daddy standing on the front porch waiting for us to drive up, like he does many times when he misses us. Instead, he drove to P'Cola and took the BIL home for my sister. (Yes, he is okay, just a sprained knee). I told my sister, welcome to the Foley family adventures. You never know what could be coming next or make you change your plans. Well, I knew a week before Jacksonville that Memphis would have to happen the week after that trip. It is tiring to do one trip then turn around and do another, but St. Jude was able to get it all done for us and all in one day and before school starts!!! So, we go with the flow. I had planned to get the house in order and pack tonight when I got a FB message from one of our FAVORITE nurses here at home in Mobile at the children's hospital. A family was there who's 10 month old was just diagnosed with Ependymoma and had a resection (not gross total) and a shunt placement. She asked if I could call them, and yes, she had their permission. Well, I will always allow God to use me and I called. The mom was busy getting lunch and taking a quick break. I told her to call me back when convenient for her. The more I thought about it, the more I felt compelled to go up there in person. The drive over the bridge to Mobile is a familiar one, but tonight my heart was heavy and my mind was flooded with memories and my voice couldn't even utter the words to "Healer" as I listened to it on the radio and cried. Praying the words over this little one.
We stayed for about 3 hours, just talking, listening and sharing. I remember the smell of those hallways, the beeping of those monitors and the faces of the nurses who recognized us (and their relief at knowing Ivee was not in the hospital but we were just visiting). It meant so much to me to able to be there for this family at the beginning of their journey, to answer their questions and offer them advice. When we began this journey so many years ago, we were so lost and didn't have any help, for there were no other families we could talk to. No one who knew our pain. No one to tell us how to watch out for our child. They are taking their baby to St. Jude once he is able to go, and I was there to calm any fears they had about moving there for this time and trial in their lives. I was able to tell them what a WONDERFUL place it is for a child who has ependymoma.
So you see, I am living a life that for 4 years 8 months and 14 days has had many unexpected moments or "opportunities" to arise. I live everyday not having an expectations, but hoping for normalcy...our normalcy. But I can say...I don't make promises (just ask my children), because I don't ever want to be labeled a promise breaker by my children or any one else. BUT I promise that as long as God gives me the opportunity and opens the doors on this journey, one that I would not have chosen, I will do my best to be a witness and minister to those who walk the same road with us.
So, my family of prayer. I ask for prayer for Baby R (as I will call him) and his family as they begin this journey. I ask for prayer for Frederick and Anderson's families as they have lost their battle to ependymoma a few days and weeks ago. And I beg of you for continued prayers of healing for Ivee and all her cancer friends. You are our prayer warriors and we love you all!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Sarah Gouzoules said...

Awww That was very kind of you to be there for another family. Could you tell them to get their child registered with C.O.L.E'S Foundation. If Ivee isn't registered you should register her too. Hugs!!!!! Sarah www.colesfoundation.com to make a page and register www.colespages.com

Catina Bergman said...

Hope you are truly a blessing. I'm blessed to know you and greatful to you for the words of wisdom you have given me. God is using you and family for the greater good. I love you!

Pat Scanland said...

Praying for Ivee and for all of you, Hope.

Anonymous said...

You always are a wonderful minister to everyone at the hospital...the nurse know and love you! so proud to have met you. Pray for yours and all our babies who fight so courageously!
Much love, Jenni Dismukes