About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Hospitalization

Some are aware, but Ivee is in PICU at USA Children's and Women's hospital. She began leaking again, a steady stream, from the wound again yesterday. A low grade fever had set in Friday and was persistent even with Augmenton (antibiotic) and Tylenol. We returned to the ER Sunday around 2:00 p.m. The same doctor from Thursday was attending, so she was quite aware that this was a greater leak then before. Dr. Martino, Ivee's original neurosurgeon was contacted. He was concerned about infection and need for a shunt, so he ordered a CT scan. *On a funny note: The ER doctor knew of Ivee's anxiety from Thursday, so she ordered that she be given Adavant (an anti anxiety medicine). I was not here for the CT, but Em says they left her awake. This concerned him, but once they cocooned her onto the board, Em says she lay there fine. He began to sing to her, and as they were moving her into the scanner she said, "Whee." I don't know how good Adavant is, but hey...I think I could use some of that! That was just too funny. Sorry I missed it.
Anyway, Dr. Martino confirmed what he feared, it was meningitis. For those who don't know, in Ivee's case it is swelling and inflammation of the ventricles (ventricles are what carry and circulate brain fluid). (*Note: I am unofficially a medical advisor now for anyone who's child may have some sort of brain problem. The great thing is the doctors can use the big words and initials, and I actually know what they are talking about)
Dr. Martino advised us that she would need immediate attention with antibiotics to fight the infection, which we believe she contracted at surgery but the signs were not evident until leakage occurred do to pressure build up. He also told us that surgery would be necessary to resolve the pressure issue. With Ivee's 1st surgery, Dr. Martino did a ventriculoscopy which is putting a pressure release valve on top of her head....yes, they had to shave alot of hair off the top of her head. This would stop the headaches and the leaking out of the wound site allowing it to heal.
So, she has been lightly sedated since surgery last night and will probably remain that way until tomorrow. She has interacted with me wanting me to pick her up, which I can't, waving bye to people, and pointing at the door. She has also shimmy danced to music, so she is slightly aware, but sleeps most of the time.
She will remain in PICU for 10 to 14 days. During that time we will fight the infection with antibiotics. Then, if the suture site looks good, we will clamp the valve and see how the pressure in her head is. If it stays low, no shunt will be needed, but if it becomes greater and stays there, we will be looking at another surgery to put the shunt in. This stinks, because we tried so hard to keep her from having to have one with the 1st surgery.I hope all this makes sense. I welcome questions and comments.
Pray for rest for Ivee and us at the time. There really isn't a place to "sleep" in the ICU, but once she is "aware" we won't want to leave her alone and scared. (Good thing my dad is a chiropractor, so he can knock all the kinks out of my back!) Pray that Brittney and Ethan will be taken care of...not necessarily physically, but emotionally and to have some normalcy. It took a long time to feel normal again after that 1st year. Gratefully and hopefully it will only be a few weeks this time.
I'll keep updating as progress is made.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope,
So sorry to hear that Ivee and all of you are having to go through this. My prayers (as always) are with you. I keep a quote at my desk that I refer to quite often and thought you might like. "It does not matter, really, how great the pressure is, it only matters where the pressure lies. See that it never comes between you and the Lord, then the greater the pressure, the more it presses you to His breast.-- May you find comfort and rest as you press against His breast during this time.
Love,
Kathy F.

Anonymous said...

Hope
I am so sorry that your family is again going through such trying times. I am praying for all of you. Once again we have to trust in the Great Physician to heal Ivee's little body. Please let me know if there is anything I can do, maybe help out with the kids.
Love
Cindy H.

Unknown said...

Hey Hope, I'm so sorry to hear about everything that's going on. We will definitely keep you in our prayers. Let us know if you need anything at all!
Daisy

Luvlie said...

We are praying for Ivee. I am keeping my Bible study group posted on her progress and we have been praying for her. I love you guys!

Lori

Randall said...

hey Hope! i am for sure praying for Ivee and the whole family. All my classes have been praying as well.
i'll give you a call this weekend.

debchastain said...

I can just hear the "whee". Adavant, sounds like a good thing!

Wow, well we are praying for you all! And praying that God would heal her from the infection and that no shunt would be necessary.

Love and prayers from the Chastains. Tell Ivee that Erin wants to play tag at Christmas ;0) They can have a "mine" shouting contest (a new found favorite word-yeah for us).

Christy said...

We are praying for you all. I can only imagine how weary you all have been throughout this journey. I know the Lord gives you strength day by day to get through, but it does break my heart for you all that this is the journey that you are on. I am so thankful for your blog...otherwise we would never know what is going on up this way. We will continue to pray you through this. God Bless and may he give you rest. The Benton's