About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

First Meeting in Memphis

We arrived at St. Jude yesterday about 4:30 pm. Ivee was good the whole way up. (TV helps) Everyone is very friendly and organized here. All the buildings are in a gated area with guards at every entrance. Where we are staying this time is on campus, so we just walk back and forth.
Today we meet with Dr. Thomas Merchant (The Chief Radiology Oncologist) here at St. Jude. He went over the typical effects of radiation treatment. One that we didn't know is that Ivee can only have radiation once. So, this is it. She'll have radiation for 6 to 61/2 weeks, 5 days a week. Each time will take about 45 minutes. This is to sedate, give radiation, and then wake up in recovery. We will have a planning scan tomorrow, where they will do what is called a test run. They will ta too her head with pin point marks so that they can radiate in the same place every time. Dr. Merchant wanted to being treatment next Wednesday, but after discussion (and my look of need) Ivee and mommy will return to Memphis Sunday, June 24. So I'll have one week at home before I come live in Memphis for 7 weeks at the Ronald McDonald house here. The RM House is only 5 minutes from the hospital. So, I won't be home for long once I get back, and I have ALOT to accomplish.
The great thing is chemo is over, and the Doctor said that as time progresses, Ivee will become more and more energetic and lively and she will begin to catch up physically. In her case, radiation will have no effect on her physical development. Learning skills and development might be affected.
Well, I don't know what else to tell right now. Don't know much more. I know Memphis is big, and me driving in it seems a bit overwhelming, but Emmett and I got out tonight and found somethings.
If you have any Questions...blog me please. I would love to answer any you have. God bless, and pray all goes well until we come home Saturday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

just wondering, when you say she would only have radiation once, do they think that's all that will be necessary or is it that physically she can only handle once?
I do hope all goes well for the rest of your visit this time, and I'll begin to pray that God will work all the details out for your extended stay. I hope next week won't be too stressful and you can just enjoy being at home.
In Him, Daisy

Anonymous said...

No questions as of yet but just wanted to let you know that we continue to pray for your family. This is going to be a long haul away from home but with God all things are possible and I know from experience that He will give you the strength to get through it all.
Let me know if y'all need any help with anything at all. We are willing to help however we can.
Give hugs to the kiddos and know that y'all are always in our thoughts and prayers.
Allyson and family

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for Ivee and your family. You are all such strong people. I know where you get your strength, and I see it in every blog you post. I do pray and hope that all goe swell while you and Ivee are in Memphis. I pray that this will help her, and you will see an improvement very quickly. I just wanted to say that I have been following your blog, and I wanted you to know that you and your family are in my prayers.
Abby Jones (Daisy McVay's sister)

Anonymous said...

I am just now getting to check your family website. I just wanted to let you all know that I am praying for Ivee and the doctors at St. Jude's. I can't wait to hear what you think about St. Jude's hospital when you get home. Have a safe trip!
Amanda Manning, RN

Anonymous said...

Emmett and Hope, I am glad to hear the good things about St.Jude, I have always admired their work. I am glad that Ivee has finished the chemo , and I am happy that she can start catching up, and she will, she is a little fighter! What are the possible immediate side effects of the radiation? We are praying that all goes well. Have ya had any Elvis sightings? Love, Karen G

Anonymous said...

We have continued to think about and pray for all of you. My timing was a bit off - I didn't realize you were going to Memphis this soon. Katie had her eye surgery Wednesday and is doing well. Have a safe trip home on Saturday and enjoy your time at home before going back to Tennessee. All my love, Diane