About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

What if...

What if you had grown up with a child who was "different" due to a brain tumor and treatment? How do you think you would have treated them? Viewed them? These are things I think about all the time. Ivee is at a place in life where all her fellow "soon to be graduating" kindergartners treat her special and love her. She is different and has special needs...and right now that is okay. We had Ivee repeat K5, due to cognitive developmental delays and maturity, so she began her school year at the age of 6 with 5 years olds, and she was relatively the same height as most. We are ending the school year with a 7 year old amongst 6 year olds who have begun to tower over her. Growth is just 1 of many issues we will face as she notices that she is different. But, let me state, she does not let any of this hold her back! She is determined to do things on her own and be independent. She is a fighter through and through.

I wasn't sure who I was going to pick as today's brain tumor warrior, I have many choices. But then CERN (Collaborative Ependymoma Research Network) shared a video today that made me cry, laugh and smile. It gave me a glimpse into Ivee's possible future. Not that Ivee will grow to be like Dakota Bray (the warrior in the video) but that maybe her classmates will grow up with her, have awareness and be changed for the better because of Ivee.  So...

Today's Brain Tumor Hero 
Dakota Bray

Please, watch the video of Dakota and her classmates from an article from USA Today.
(Click on the picture or text to see her short video) 

1 comment:

firefly said...

This was so very touching. What a great group of peers Dakota has. I pray that Ivee has a great group of peers too.