About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

What were you doing this day 5 years ago?

Not many people can actually remember what they were doing on a date 5 years ago unless it holds major significance, like a wedding or the birth of a child. Well, I can't say exactly what I was doing this day, but I do know what it probably could have been. More than likely I was running lines, practicing music and solos, and decorating a stage for our production The Gift.
I have been blessed to work with my friend Tony off and on for 11+ years. In 2005, we had read a story by a well known author and believed it would make an amazing story for a Christmas Musical for our church. We performed the story twice. The first time in December 2005, when I was pregnant with Ivee, and then decided to do it again in December 2006. The story line was just too great to not share with those who had missed it before. In The Gift, you meet a family; The parents, played by myself and my husband, Emmett, and their two children. The oldest child, Gideon (played by our oldest daughter, Brittney, who as 9 and 10 at the times), has been battling leukemia...cancer. At the start of the play, Gideon is doing well, no signs of disease. Her family is by no means wealthy and work very hard, but their baby girl with a heart bigger than the mountains wants to take this Christmas, the first time she has felt well in years, and wants to serve at the homeless shelter. It is there what Gideon meets Earl. Earl is homeless, mean and grumpy. He doesn't react well to this little, sweet girl...who reminds him so much of his little Molly, whom he lost in a car accident many years ago. Gideon, however finds a way to reach Earl's heart, through her love and compassion and God's planning and timing. And even when Gideon relapses, worse than before, we see God work in her life and Earl's life to make a true Christmas Miracle come true. 
Well, we ended the weekend with 2 performances of The Gift, this time with all the people in our family making appearances. Ivee even made a cameo. As things were finally winding down, we were home preparing for our first Christmas with Ivee in our lives, and for Ethan's birthday, which unfortunately falls one week before Christmas. In just that two week period of time, we didn't know that the play, the one that had touched so many other's lives, would soon become our reality. We went from "acting" as parents of a child with cancer, to "LIVING" the life of a family stricken by cancer. So the Phrase "Art really does imitate life!" became so very true for us. 
There are SO many details in this story of our beginning journey, and I just might one day write a book, cause it would be that lengthy. BUT, I can say without a doubt that God has always been in control. From the moment he pushed her from that grocery cart, he has had a plan. I have always trusted in him, even when I don't understand, even when I was hurting, even when I was so ANGRY at Him! Still, I will continue to trust him. Many may just wonder, how do you really know? God so many times doesn't reveal his presence. Yes, I know that is true, but YES he really does sometimes, many times, in our greatest times of need show he is there, that he cares and he has a plan. Let me just share an important time in our lives with you. 
I recall the second day we were in the hospital, it was the night before her surgery, a stranger introduced herself as the pastor of a local church. We were sitting next to the elevators and she said, "I don't know you, I don't know what you're going through, but God told me to talk to you. To let you know that He knows You need a Miracle. You just Hold On, Help is on the Way. We are all One in the Spirit, and I am praying for you!"
Now, what you don't know, what isn't evident in this conversation to anyone who wasn't a part of that play we had done just two weeks earlier, is that this lady, this stranger came to us in our time of need. And in just her few short lines or sentences, she quoted the titles of THREE of the songs from that play! Yes, she did! Do you Need a Miracle, Hold on, Help is on the Way, and We Are One (in the Spirit). No, I don't believe that she was angel, for she did tell us where she was a pastor, but I believe that when believers are obedient, God makes them a tool! She was a vessel for him that day, in a great time of need! 
I just needed to share this with you all. I do struggle today. So many friends of mine are hurting. My friends Millie and Joe are still fighting for their son Brandon's life as he fights DIPG as my friends Jay and Mary mourn the loss of their baby Myra who lost her battle to DIPG yesterday. Aaron is fighting against Ependymoma, and I try to keep a positive outlook, knowing that right now I am so blessed. 
As we are in the holiday season, find a moment to be thankful for your blessings! Look around you and see where God is at work and join him there! Be a blessing this season and know that I am thankful for you all! 
I will leave you with a song that has blessed my heart for the last 4 years. Today it reminds me of Jay and Mary and the great faith they have in their Lord today, even in the midst of their lose! God Bless.



2 comments:

Cindy Henson said...

Hope

Thank you for sharing. I agree you should write a book and I too love this Brooklyn Tabernacle song. With much love,

Kate said...

Hope, I love this song. I listen to it all the time while I drive down the road. The louder the better! Disney was wonderful and I hope all is well for you guys. I've got some tickets for you!