About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Update on....Life

Sorry I haven't posted, but it's for different reasons. 1. My phone is not the easiest thing to update on. 2. Didn't have my PC with me. 3. I haven't felt like it and unfortunately, I don't feel like it right now. I'm already pretty tired and we still have to set the clocks forward tonight...grrrhhh!!
We made it home Friday after being back in Memphis since Tuesday. Thanks to Ninfa Moore for going with me and to Tony Moore for letting her go! Ivee was not happy about being back on the road again. We had to stop often on our trip up. She finally gave it up for a nap about an hour away from St. Jude.
Her first appointment on Wednesday was labs, and we couldn't get her port to work. So, we had to fill it with TPA to break up the clot in it, you have to wait an hour for it to work. We were finally able to get it to flush and pull her lab work out. We meet with Dr. Merchant. He once again went over the short term and long term side effects of radiation. Then the dangers of radiation, especially the complete dangers of 2nd time radiation. He stated that so far they have been "lucky" in this, as they have never really seen the severe side effects of 2nd time radiation, but it will one day be inevitable. (I personally don't believe in Luck. I believe in the protective power of my Creator, Healer and Provider. And don't think for one minute that I don't think God uses that man or his abilities and the abilities of others to help our children). I remember Ivee's side effects from the 1st time radiation. She was so tired, her poops were awful and smelt sooo bad. She has scarring from it, and it will probably scar again. There can be effects on growth (which Ivee has to see an endocrinologist when this is done) and there can be balance and developmental delays...among other things.
When it came time for her CT Radiation Simulation, they were 2 hours behind. Luckily, once we got back there they knocked her out quickly. That is great because she was highly upset to go back under. I promised her she wouldn't wake up with another cut or tube down her throat. I can honestly say....I NEVER lie to her. I always tell her what is going to happen. I will never let her say you lied to me or I don't trust you. I started that when Brittney was little and had to go to the dentist. They, the dentist, didn't like the fact that I told "MY" child she would have to have a few little shots in her mouth. We'll...too bad for them...they are my kids and I will tell them what I want, when I want, and I don't sugar coat stuff. NOW, I also don't make it all drama either. (Okay, I'll back off the subject....sorry for the rant)
Thursday was MRI day. She was better for this, but that is because Dr. B (anesthesiologist) is so awesome with those kids!!!
That after noon, Dr. Boop (n-surgeon) told us the MRI looked good. Looks like there is no damage or injury from the surgery. Just some pooling of brain fluid on the top part of the brain. No concern, though, should be absorbed. The infection on her neck is superficial and hopefully should be good to go within a week. Can't really radiate that area if it's still, well, puss filled. Sorry for those with weak constitutions!
Did see Dr. Merchant before we left the hospital that night. (He was working late, and actually had his phone out dialing my number as I walked around the corner of the cafeteria.) He confirmed the MRI results and said that they would call me this week. He just had to finish his part that night for her to start radiation on the 21st.
Sooooo......Em, Ivee and I will drive up on the 20th and get settled in for the 6 week stretch. Em will drive home the next day (renting a car).
Continue to pray for us. Just so much going on in my mind right now. Trying to focus. Alot to get prepped this week for my term of leave from home and family.  Take care and thanks for being such a great support group for us!!!!

No comments: