About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The News...

Dr. Martino has come by and has even consulted with Dr. Sanford. They both decided that a shunt will be needed. Ivee already suffered from hydrocephalus (the swelling of the ventricles) because of her tumor and first surgery. This is one of the reasons she always had the "cyst" (pocket of fluid) on the back of her head. Since she already had this problem, when her head was reopened the pressure decided to find a new way out to remove the fluid. She was doing well with the ventriculostomy, but when we raised the bag yesterday to see if she would absorb the fluid, it then began to leak from around the external catheter. So, her head is not absorbing the CSF. The surgery will be tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m. It will talk about 1 1/2 hours. She should be able to go straight to the floor instead of ICU. Once she is off antibiotics (Sunday will be the 14 day), then we'll get to go home. We are looking at (probably) Monday or Tuesday. They will have to shave the other side of her head and make two incisions and then an incision near her collar bone. Then the will run the catheter across her stomach to the other side (cause of her g button and scar tissue from the fundiplication. There they will make a final incision.
We were really hoping and praying that she would not need one, but it is just not working out like last time. Could be because it is the 2nd surgery, or cause of the meningitis...just not sure and I guess it really doesn't matter. Please pray as we go through another surgery. Ivee is in a really good mood today, and Dr. Martino is very impressed at how well she has done with this. Em and I are unhappy that she has to undergo another surgery, but what can we do? Nothing. Just pray. Please, keep mommy and daddy in your prayers. Ivee does struggle with being here, but like any other young child, she just goes with the flow. We are the ones that under go the mental and emotional .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope,
Following your blog and continuing to pray for your entire family. Hang in there. The mental battles are often the hardest! Lean on God and each other.
Sonya Dudziak (Diane's friend in Atlanta)

Anonymous said...

Hope,
I continue to pray for your physical, spiritual, mental and emotional well being...all of you. May He bring healing to Ivee as she goes through another surgery. He is able. he is sufficent. Love, Anna

Anonymous said...

Emmett & Hope, I am thinking of you all daily, and you are in my prayers. I miss seeing ya'll in the office, and Ivee helping me at my desk! I know that this is so hard on you as parents, but I also know that God is able to bring you through. Love to you all, Mrs. Karen

Anonymous said...

Oh Hope, we are continually praying for your entire famiily. Maggie reminds me every night when we say her prayers that we need to pray for "baby Ivee". She asks me every night if she's still sick and then she says we need to pray for her. I know God hears our prayers, and that is the most important part. I am so sorry you have to go through all of this, but I know God is preparing you for great things that He has in store for you.
much love in Christ, Daisy

Luvlie said...

We will be keeping you in our prayers. Love you guys!
Lori