About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Surgery day

Ivee came through surgery fine today about noon. It took a little longer than we had expected. Dr. Sanford had to cut the entire length of the old scar, but she still has plenty of hair left! He said that there was quite a bit of scar tissue. He cut a large opening in it so that fluid would be able to run normally to the parts of her brain needing it, and to relieve pressure on that area of the brain. Also, (for those familiar with Ivee's hydrocephalus, or cyst on the back of her head from the previous surgery) he took as much of that membrane out as possible so that the pressure would also be gone. He then removed a bit of the apparent scar on the outside of her head. The outer scar became infected after her initial surgery and caused large potted scars in places. So, he cut some of that away to make a more pleasant scar for her. (This will help with her vanity as a teenager I suppose!?) He said that her recovery and pain will be lessened more than the initial surgery cause we are sewing scar tissue to scar tissue instead muscle to muscle. Makes sense I suppose.
Em and I walked into the ICU and were surprised to see Ivee sitting up in the nurses lap, holding her head up, and turning it. I knew it wouldn't be as bad as the last, but I wasn't expecting that. She saw us and reached for us immediately. She threw quite a few fits for about an hour. She wanted the IV and support off her hand. Later, we looked and her arm was twice it's normal size and blue. She had an occlusion in the line and it was causing severe pain. So we removed the IV from the hand (she still has one in her foot and her port for us to use). We had to cut her bracelet off cause it's was starting to cut into her arm. Once we did this, she calmed down a bit. So, it was pretty painful...obviously! She is on Loratab and Morphine/Bendryl. So, she isn't in alot of pain right now. Just sad :(
Hopefully we will be in our room tomorrow. And if all goes well, maybe we can head home Sunday. For those who would like to know, we are at LeBoner Children's Hospital here in Memphis.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers! May God bless you and I'll keep you informed as I can.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Hey Mrs. Hope Im Glad everything with Ivee's surgery! I have been praying for her and for you and the family! Tell Ivee i said HI and that I luv her! Luv you guys too Of course!

Nat Nat :)

Luvlie said...

So glad to hear that things went well. I am glad that her recovery will be better this time. I know it is still going to be tough, but we are thankful that the surgery went well and praying that it will help with all of her symptoms.

Love you guys,
Lori

Anonymous said...

I am so glad everything turned out alright! I miss and love you guys. Tell Ivee I am coming to see her soon. Love Ya'll!

Love Erin

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord! Good news! We continue to pray. Hope you are traveling home Sunday. Love, Anna

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that everything went well. God is SO good. You guys are in my prayers always!

Love you,
Kathy F.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it went well and I'm SO glad there was less pain than expected. God heard that prayer!! We look forward to seeing what He will do through this surgery. Hug that sweet girl for all of us! Hope to see you back here very soon!
Daisy

Anonymous said...

Hope thanks for doing the blog and letting us know how everything went. I cannot wait till Ivee gets back. Hope let me know if there is anything I can do when you return.

Kiss Ivee for me,
Beth Pinyerd