About Me

My photo
Born in Atmore, United States
Wife & Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who loves me deeply and three great kids. I believe in my Creator who guides me everyday. My favorite interest are stage/theatre, music/singing, antiques and art.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Over the years


It's hard to believe this picture was taken four years ago. I was looking through my TimeHop photos/post. You always get reminders, of good or bad situations, whatever it is that you posted to social media over the years on that particular date. 
Not that I need reminders of many things, but this weekend, Timehop reminded me of a few things and I realized that Ivee had something tragic happen on the same dates two years in a row. 
January 2010
Five years ago today, after a ten day hospital stay with an external valve and strong antibiotics, Ivee would under go a shunt valve replacement surgery after cellulitis made a "rare" development on the external side of her shunt line. She had a horrible skin allergy to a certain powerful antibiotic, and the doctors wouldn't listen to me when I knew which drug it was. She continued to get worse for seven days, til after the surgery and out of PICU, I pulled a resident off the floor and demanded he listen to me. Finally, someone heard me and we were able to change the drug and get her better. 
Flashe forward one year....
January 2011
I was in Memphis with my friend Cathy, who was with me on many trips up to St. Jude when Emmett couldn't go, to get Ivee's scans. It was three and half years from the end of Ivee's treatment in 2007. We had just gone from 3 month scans to 6 months. She was moving forward and getting better every year. We had scheduled to have her port removed on Thursday of that week and Emmett was going to fly up for the surgery. We waited in the clinic for the doctor to recieve the news from the scans the day before. Usually, he walks in and says hi, things look good. He gets straight to the point, always, knowing that the parents want the "good" news first to set their minds at ease. I learned that day in January of 2011, that he gets straight to the point with the "bad" news as well. I honestly don't remember his exact words, I just recall that he said the original tumor (left behind from the first tumor removal), that we had been watching and had hoped was scar tissue, was now growing. The tumor had survived chemotherapy and radiation. 

God changed my life the first time our daughter faced cancer, but knowing your daughter has cancer again...it's a different kind of life changing moment. You already know this road. You already know what the first tumor surgery did to her body. You know that you are only suppose to have a round of radiation once. The first round she had 33 doses, and here you are trying to decide if your going to give it to her again, cause so far, in experimentation, this has been the only way to effectively "try" to defeat her cancer. You know other children have done this second round and just a handful didn't have recurrent tumor after the second time. The second tumor surgery (in February) has permanently killed her right vocal chord, and her left is very weak, she can't swallow well, she aspirates...She has permanent damage in many ways, but she always fought to move forward. 

....and....


HERE WE ARE NOW!!!
Look at that beautiful family! I am so blessed...no matter the outcome. No matter our continuing struggles. 

My babies....can't believe they are 18,15 and Ivee will be 9 in May! NINE! 

Our move to Texas has been a great decision for our family. Ivee is doing well (much better since we moved out of the last house that made us all sick). She has great doctors here. The Pulmonologist has done so much to make her quality of life and sleep so much better!  I'm trying to keep her well during this flu season, and so far we've dodge it. 
We have found a great church family. We are so excited to have a new pastor and see where this new journey is going to take us. These people feel like family, something we have searched and longed for in over five years. 

As always though, I ask for prayer for a few things. 
First, for Emmett and his work. Just lift him up please!

Second, Ivee's next MRI scan is at the end of February three and half years after the end of her last tumor treatment. This momma is a little anxious, but I know who holds today and tomorrow. And that we will continue to get what we need for her health and that in in her education. She will make leaps and bounds to catch up. 

Third, my other three kids...that's right, I said three. We have an extra child now, my niece. Please pray for my three teens in the house. That they will make Godly decisions, learn from heir mistakes and they will understand that everyday is a new start. Pray for them as they are still adjusting to new school, teachers and peers. And that they will make wise decision in friendships and relationships. 

Thank you all for nine years of praying us through! 



No comments: